Thursday, June 19, 2008

Uganda, here we come!

I wanted to write to say that I will be resuming my writing on this blog because we will soon be working with a Christian relief/aid organization called “Samaritans Purse” in Uganda, East Africa. We both feel that instead of serving with the “Peace Corps,” we would like to be serving with a Christian organization so that we are able to both meet the needs of people, and also share how Christ has changed our lives. We love the development aspect of the “Peace Corps,” and we desire to continue working in a sustainable development and aid capacity. We just feel that we cannot meet the needs of people without also meeting their spiritual needs. There are so many people who are willing to serve in the capacity we are serving. There are many aid organizations even here in “The Gambia.” We know it is not coincidence that we are Believers and also that our hearts are for Africa. He has called us to Africa, and we want to be serving Him if we are here.
Our good friend Mark recently sent us a quote that said “The place where God has called you is a place where your gladness and the world’s deepest hunger meet (Beuchner.)” I know that place for us is Africa, and I know Africa hungers for so much. But we still know in our hearts that the world’s deepest hunger is to know Jesus.
In our short time here in “The Gambia,” I grew tremendously. I experienced what it was like to live everyday with people who accepted and loved me right away. I experienced that life is not always easy, but you take it one day at a time. I learned that despite our differences, we were so much the same. We laughed so much, and when we left our training village of “Fula Kunda.” my closest friend Fatou cried with me. She reminded me so much of my friends from home, even though we were cultures and worlds apart. I will never forget all the faces, and will carry them all in my heart.
Only because we desire to be in God’s will for our lives, we have made the decision to change organizations and work with “Samaritans Purse” in Uganda, despite the amazing way we felt welcomed here in The Gambia. Thank you all for supporting us through this LONG journey and praying for us. We will keep you all updated and hopefully see you soon (We are returning to the US for training in Boone, NC!!) We love and are praying for all of you!!

Our Church family in Basse


Pastor Moses with Ruco



My favorite boy in Basse

Aminatta and I

3 comments:

Jo said...

Tori, you look so sweet with those African kiddos. PLEASE bring me home an African baby!

Heather said...

Oh I love you! You are so cute! And Ruco too! I am so happy for you both! Can't wait to see you!

Heather said...

I love your new blog! NOW, stop playing with it and come overrrrrrrr! =) No, but really, it looks so cute! Tell Ruco he's a computer genius! Oh and also tell him I need him to put my camera on Ebay!