Saturday, October 16, 2010

Our backyard!

God has really blessed us in that we are able to live in a beautiful area up in the hills that overlook Berkeley. There is an awesome park/lake within walking distance, and we are very close to a botanical garden and UC Berkeley's "Strawberry Canyon" facilities. The house belongs to an amazing (elderly) Christian lady. We have the downstairs portion of the house, and our entrance is at the back of the house (shown in a photo below). That means no one really comes to the back of the house, except for the two of us. Which means, this backyard is ours to enjoy as we sit and talk over coffee, have lunch on the picnic table, or plant our own veggie garden. When we moved in, we had lemons, apples, pears and plums in bloom. Right now, we only have lemons and apples. I really love our backyard! Even though I don't have a green thumb myself, I love to just go and sit with Ruco while he weeds and gardens.

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses


And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.


And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;


And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,


And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;


And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,


But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

8 comments:

The Reeds said...

Very awesome. Isn't the option to have such a variety of foods available still just mind blowing? When we can make a gorgeous salad whenever we want or eat any fish we want we still just stand amazed at how blessed we are here...


Thanks for sharing the pics!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Oh, Georgia! It is amazing to have all the foods available! We are the same...I am amazed at the big ripe fruits at the market. I almost don't think they look real after the pitiful green peppers and tomatoes we had in Karamoja. :) So fun that you guys took a team back last summer. I would love to chat more about your time there!

We have really been missing the "Moja Magic" as my husband calls it...as I am sure you guys do too.

Cassie said...

I've heard how gorgeous the landscaping is in CA, but I had no idea it was everywhere! What an awesome view when you come to and leave your new home. Beautiful.

grandmama said...

my precious grandaughter, your blog and your backyard photos are so beautiful..to think that we come to the garden alone and He meets us there and walks and talks with us , o what a privilage we have to share in this wonderful place with Him.you are blessed to have a great place to live, and so blessed that ruco likes to garden...i love being on this journey with you...all my love....

J and E said...

wow! You guys have such a neat set up. I love seeing all the greenery and the way you captured it on film. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Yes, we love it too! You guys will have to come over sometime Em! :)

Anonymous said...

SO lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Love your new backyard!! And LOVE this beautiful song. It all goes so perfectly together.

Thinking of you guys today. Missing you. But so so happy that you get to enjoy this new season of life!

Sending lots of Love from Albania...