Thursday, July 14, 2011

Almost one year has passed.

Ruco and I left Haiti on July 31st last year. It's almost been a year that we have lived in the States again. I remember when we told our friends in Uganda that we were leaving (especially for California) they were worried. :) They said, "just be cautious." I didn't know what that really meant. I was sure our faith wouldn't change. I have given my life to Jesus...and that will never change. And with all the things my eyes have seen, surely I would never forget and become like I was before. Why did people think that us moving back to the US would "change" us?!??

...oh, but how that "American dream" seeps its way in when you aren't guarded...when you aren't paying too much attention. This past week I have been SO stressed out. I have been worried about which grad school to attend. I got into two great schools--both global MPH programs. One online and the other here in San Fran. Oh how I fretted when I had to notify both schools of my decision. Which program will be the best...land me the job I want to have?!? Which one is really a "better" school with a "better" value? I've also been worried in the last few months about Ruco and I finding an apartment that's a little larger...and furniture with which to fill a new apartment. I rationalize and say we are thinking of starting a family...and we "need" this. and we "need" that.

But I know better. I know what real needs look like.

God brought these verses to my mind today: "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." 1 John 2:15-17

This week, Ruco prayed with me for an eternal perspective, and God answered my prayer. He reminded me that He is all that matters. It doesn't really matter which grad school I attend. Or if we find the apartment of our dreams in the Bay Area. All that matters is Jesus. He is all that matters. I so long to be found faithful in His eyes.

Today, I am longing for that ""hard" life we had before. The kind that made me rely on Jesus everyday.


5 comments:

tanisha warren said...

It doesn't matter what people say you don't need people like them you will have jesus on your side and everything going to be okay for you guy's i have faith in you
you don't have to worry a thing everything going to be alright keep the faith and be strong

Lovie said...

Faith keeps us alive, aside from all worries and desires (which we could never come to the end of) its always good to be reminded of our place in Jesus- right at His feet where all else fades away and we are one with Him. Kristi this is very uplifting, thanks for always- you are an inspiration to many.

Cassie said...

Such an encouraging and eye-opening word!
I needed to hear exactly what you just wrote, thank you!!

The Reeds said...

I know... It's a strange thing isn't it? Like being caught between worlds.

I'm glad you have a godly husband to remind you and help you. We need them.

amanda said...

Our pastor in Alabama was peaching on this exact issue this past Sunday and I thought I would share with you a little tid bit,...He said whenever you feel "caught up" in the American Dream think about how you would explain it to your grandkids..Which would speak more.. we have lots of nice new stuff, and a big house..or We have a smaller house and older stuff so that we can have extra money to help sponsor a house over seas for family in need...
What you guys have done/are doing is amazing!! I really hope that one day we can do half of what you guys have already done!! God always provides yours true needs!! And I couldn't agree with Lovie more, You two are such an inspiration to so many..Steven I truly hope to do what you guys have done. We are battle the desire to sale everything we own and head over seas to help others with nothing...We want to do so much but we sadly got caught up in the "american dream" a few years ago and now we are digging our way out!!


P.s Im not sure if you have read The Radical, but its an amazing book and Chapter 6 is my favorite. Im actually re-reading is because it speaks soo much to me..