Tuesday, August 02, 2011

...and then there was that time in Paris...

In July, Ruco and I made a really quick and rash decision that we should indeed go to Paris for our friend's Crystal and Mike's wedding! And it was one of the best decisions we've ever made! It was such a wonderful time with friends--old and new. It was our first time in Paris without my in-laws (they lived here for 5ish years and we stayed with them in Paris for 6 months in 2007). It was so strange to be there without them, but we tried to enjoy ourselves anyway! ;)

Upon our arrival in Paris on an early Saturday morning, we took our luggage and our booties directly to Fat Tire Bike Shop. Crystal and Mike worked here together. Actually, Mike worked here in Paris for SEVEN years, and was a manager at Fat Tire Bikes! In the last 3 years, we've been able to hang out with Crystal and Mike a lot! We hung out with them in Germany in 2008, last year in Uganda, and here in the Bay Area a few months back. During those times together, Crystal and Mike would always tell us the crazy stories that encompass "FAT TIRE BIKE TOURS!" So it was really wonderful to see them in action (they pretty much led the two tours we took), and to see what their lives looked like as tour guides in Paris! I must say it was also awesome to see Mike work a bicycle. He is basically a circus man! ha!

So back to that first day...we met everyone at the bike shop and we got ready for our Versailles tour. We had been to Versailles before (with Tara, Morgan, Elizabeth and Matt), but NEVER on bikes! It was such a fun experience. Once we got to Versailles, Crystal and Mike said they had a surprise for us all...we were going to play "hide and seek" at Marie Antoinette's chalet! It was so funny to see a bunch of late-twenties to thirty-ish  people playing hide and seek! haha! After our hide and seek, we took our lunches (which we bought in the market together) down to the water for the longest picnic I have ever had. We ate, and laughed, did gymnastics, swam, and were all around silly. It was a blast, and I had one of those moments like, "ahh. This is what life should be...JOY! LAUGHTER! and wonderful friends!"


The next day, Ruco and Jason Mumford took bridal shots of Crystal, and they turned out GREAT! Crystal is such a natural model. Later, we again had one amazing picnic under the Eiffel Tower with lots of friends and laughter! We also had a mini-bachelorette party for Crystal at that point.

Finally, we ended our day with another bike tour. This one was a city tour in Paris. It was perfect. All 50 of us biked around Paris, danced in the street, gave out roses to perfect strangers (per Crystal and Mike's request), and ate crepes/ice cream. To finish the evening, we then went on a BOAT tour on the Seine. We have NEVER done this before. This was a blast! We danced and ate stinky cheese on the boat, and I had another thought of how truly joyous and FULL OF LIFE Crystal and Mike are! They rub off on everyone around, and I thought to myself, "I want my life to be like theirs...full of life and love!" Crystal and Mike are truly inspiring!

Then the next day, we all headed out for the actual wedding location. The wedding was located in La Fere, France. We all got on the train together and headed out for the village! Once we all arrived, we were in awe of the beautiful chateau that Crystal and Mike were going to get married in, and where all 50 of us would be staying for the next 3 days! It was breathtaking! The next 3 days were filled with swimming in the pool, hanging out and getting to know some pretty awesome people, bike riding (of course), catered 5 course rehearsal dinner meals, and girl talk!

AND finally, the wedding day arrived. It was so fun to hang out with Crystal as she got ready. We were able to chat and be silly...but all along I remember thinking, "Life is so funny. I can't believe I am here, with such a wonderful friend and mentor to me, because she is getting MARRIED in this amazing chateau in France! God is so amazing! He truly has given me gifts beyond my imagination! His plan for my life has been SO much better than anything I could have dreamed up!"

The ceremony was beautiful. Crystal and Mike had the most amazing vows, and Ruco and I were honored that we were asked to do a joint prayer. It was perfect, and the celebration afterward was awesome as well.  The reception actually lasted until the wee hours of the morning...and Ruco and I actually had to leave the chateau around 5:30 am to catch our flight!! We were indeed exhausted, but wouldn't trade a minute of this trip.


I know I am gushing, but it was such a wonderful time...sandwiched right in the middle of a VERY hectic summer -- with Ruco being away in Tunisia and Kenya for 2 months out of the last 4 months. God knew exactly what I needed to keep me going this summer! I needed to be reminded through Crystal and Mike that life is about being joyful and finding a way to give thanks in all situations. I am indeed SO thankful. We are so thankful for our friends all over the world, and for all the people who love us--spread out near and far!

Such a sweet friend to me!

Heaven.


during the Seine boat tour

The bachelorette shindig!
The Louvre
Right before giving out roses to complete strangers!


I love this girl!
the most funny couple! Now Californians! yea!
We really love them. Ruco has a big man crush on mike!
Just the two of us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely!! I just love to follow your life's stories, it's so inspiring and uplifting!

amanda said...

Wow...sounds like you guys has SUCH an amazing time!!! Now i have officially add biking riding through Paris to my bucket list!!!!

feiane (fe-yan) said...

wow!....... IM SO JEALOUS... its my dream to be in the most romantic place of the world... PARIS..
thanks for sharing...