Friday, June 04, 2010

So far in Haiti...

Wow, what a crazy 10 days it has been since arriving in Haiti! Where do I start??

I was able to fly from Miami to Port-au-Prince with some of the other SP ex-pat staff in Haiti. Betsy, one of the deputy country directors, was on my flight. It was great to see a familiar face (we first met in July 2008 in Boone for SP orientation). It was great to chat with her, and hear ALL about operations in Haiti, and also about how much Ruco had been missing me! ;) Once I arrived at the main base in Haiti, I met LOTS of new faces, and everyone said to me, "Oh! You are Ruco's wife? He has been SO excited about you coming!!!" It was what I heard over and over with every new face I met. Needless to say, I was growing really anxious to see him again. But he was in a meeting in Port-au-Prince!! When he FINALLY arrived at the base, I just hugged him and cried and cried! I was a wreck! The 3 weeks we had been apart went by quickly, but it was just so nice to be in his arms again!!

The next morning, we flew by chopper to our base in Leogane (which is right on the beach). It was my first time in a helicopter, and I was excited about that! Once I arrived on base, everyone was super welcoming! So many new faces to meet...

Since then, it has been a whirlwind. I have had ups and downs. With meeting so many new people, I have been longing for friends who know us and love us, like we had in Uganda. I am grieving us leaving Uganda for the first time. I know that those kind of relationships take time to develop, and will happen here in Haiti too, but I have really been missing the connections and closeness we had with people there...

Work has been good! Ruco is just as busy as ever! I had the chance to visit one of the food distributions this week! It was nothing like my first visit to a food distribution in Karamoja (which entailed whistling, dancing, and rioting)! haha! But it was awesome, systematic, and predictable! ;) Ruco is once again "in his element" and I love seeing him doing what he loves. I have also been busy this week organizing a tent distribution. The tents are huge and will be used as gathering places for churches, and also temporary learning spaces for schools that SP has cleared here in Haiti! I have enjoyed being busy!

Truly, the need here is so great. I think it just hit me for the first time 2 days ago. There is just SO much damage: homes collapsed and rubble everywhere, people living in tents made out of linens (in the rainy season!!!) roads damaged and cracked, etc. I have been observing the destruction all along, but the perspective of just how great the need is hit me like a ton of bricks just recently. However, I have to say, (and I know I am biased,) but SP is doing SO much awesome work here. Everywhere I go, I see "Samaritan's Purse" tarps and people tell me of the work SP has done for them-clearing rubble, setting up shelters, and building latrines, among other things. The people are so generous and grateful...happy that SP is here, and happy that people are caring for them! I love it!

Anyway, because the work load is so much in Haiti, SP does provide some leave time for their staff. Although I haven't been here long, it is time for Ruco to take his leave. We have decided to go to BARBADOS for a proper anniversary trip! We are so excited! It has been a couple of years since we were able to take a real vacation, just the two of us, and I think it is just the right time! We are longing for time together as a couple...time to just be together and enjoy one another! We are thankful that we have this opportunity to re-charge and really process all the change we have experienced in the last 1 1/2 months!  :)

So this afternoon, we are off on the heli again, headed to the main base. Then, our flight to Barbados tomorrow! I will try and update about our trip! Love and miss all of you greatly.

My first helicopter ride to our sub-base in Leogane, Haiti

Aerial view of our base in Leogane

Our beach in Leogane

I took this shot of Ruco when I visited the food distribution, love that vest! ;)

Loading up horses to carry those heavy food bags! It was our first time to see this...

Donkeys also...
Offloading the food truck

Mom and kids picking up their food!

And at the end of the day, we have this to come home to. Ruco snorkeling...

 Just so glad Jesus blessed me with a man who exemplifies His love!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Kristi, I just love love love that last picture. It is amazing and pretty much sums up your and Ruco's love for each other....
I am so happy that you two get an awesome vacation together!!! Have a blast, although I know you will!
I am also sorry that your heart is heavy about the friendships you left behind in Uganda! Do not worry my heart, because goodbye is never really goodbye forever! Who knows, perhaps you and Ruco will end up back in Uganda one day! The future is so exciting, right?!

Mrs. J Manny said...

Im glad you are settling in, and I know how much you must miss everyone back in Uganda. I am praying you meet people that you really connect w there.

you are THE cutest on that heli! love that pic. and the one of you two at the end. its adorable, as are the two of you =)

have a great anniversary trip! I LOVE YOU!

Keren Louise said...

This made my day, friend! Have a awesome time in Barbados!

Jo said...

Awww, you and Ruco are just the cutest! I love all your pictures. I'm so glad you updated!

I really hope and pray you meet some people who get to really know you and your heart that you can be yourself around with no reservations. I know how important that is to girls like us! We just need that every day in our lives!

Have fun in Barbados! I love you so much!