Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back in the States, so now what?!

I have been away from the blogging world for quite a while, and I think I have an inkling as to why I have been avoiding getting back into blogging. I guess I feel like my story is just not interesting anymore. I have moved back to the States, so I don't have anymore stories about chickens in my office, or running over goats in the Land Cruiser. :) Living and working in Uganda/Haiti was my "calling." And I guess now, I feel a little at a loss for a "calling" here in Berkeley (where we moved for Ruco to attend grad school at Cal). Maybe I feel a little less "hardcore" because whereas life was hard in Uganda and Haiti, now it is just...normal and easy. And I have been finding it hard to hear His voice with the lure of entertainment, convenience, and FUN! FUN! FUN! demanding my attention!

And what do I do with this, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Matthew 28:19?? Jesus COMMANDS me to "go." In fact, I was reminded in my devotion this morning (Experiencing God), that we need permission to stay!! Jesus left His Father to go to Calvary, and he instructed those who wanted to follow Him to leave their comforts and their homes. And "go" to me for the longest time meant...Africa.

So why ARE we back?!? Answer: Grad school for Ruco, and me too (hopefully next fall). And Ruco was given a REALLY awesome full scholarship which includes a living stipend. But we are cautious, and don't ever want the pursuit of "success" by the worlds standards to get in the way of us being obedient. I never want success to be a hindrance in going where God wants us!!! Jesus called disciples in the midst of great successes in their careers. Think Peter and the big catch, right?!

So, my biggest prayer while God has us here in Berkeley is that we will still continue to "go." My prayer is that I will listen to the gentle nudgings of the Spirit and "go" volunteer to work with the homeless or refugees in our area, or "go" and talk to my neighbor about Him. And I pray when Ruco and I finish our education, that we don't use our talents/successes for this world, but for HIS glory!!! Most of all, that we NEVER let anything come in the way of following Jesus, not comfort, not family, and certainly not worldly success!!!!!!! That we will ALWAYS "GO" where he tells us to go...whether that's Uganda, Haiti, or Berkeley, CA! My prayer is that we will be found faithful.

Oh Lord,
Hear my prayer that Ruco and I want to only be obedient to you. We want to go WHEREVER you send us, and love on whomever you call us to love. And Father, may it not be about our glory, fame, and success by worldly standards, but it be about YOU and YOUR son, and what you did for us. Thank you for loving me with a  love that I can never, ever comprehend. My life is yours now, and forever!!!!!!!!!!

Love Ruco's caption on this photo: "bffs." Ha. I do LOVE these people.

Everybody now...farewell party in Haiti

Such a beautiful night, with amazing people

A Haitian dance party

God gave us the most beautiful sunset for our last night on Jax Beach!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristi, when I read your blog post I am SO inspired by it. You know, sometimes by living in the depths we truly learn to see God in the heights. We learn by paradox that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart, that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit, that the repenting soul is the victorious soul, that to have nothing is to possess all, that to bear the cross is to wear the crown, that to give is to receive, that the valley is the place of vision. I know it and you know it. Thank you for being such a wonderful witness for our Lord. Praise be to His Name, and all the best to you and Ruco. X

Jo said...

This is an awesome post, and it really challenges me to have that mindset even though I feel like my life is pretty boring. I may never get to go to Africa or travel the world, but there are lots of people around me to reach out and love on!

grandmama said...

my darling girl, i can't believe that it is sept. 20th. and i am just reading this blog from the 12th..your heart yearned for africa when you were 6 kneeling at an altar in a nazarene boys and girls camp. always you wanted to take the gospel to those less fortunate than you.always you felt you were supposed to be in other countries. but today you are in ca. and will be placed there for as long as God sees fit, and He will lead you to someone every day to witness your Jesus love to....you my sweetie, are a wonderful example of the love of Christ and His sufferings..God be with you today...

grandmama said...

my darling girl, i can't believe that it is sept. 20th. and i am just reading this blog from the 12th..your heart yearned for africa when you were 6 kneeling at an altar in a nazarene boys and girls camp. always you wanted to take the gospel to those less fortunate than you.always you felt you were supposed to be in other countries. but today you are in ca. and will be placed there for as long as God sees fit, and He will lead you to someone every day to witness your Jesus love to....you my sweetie, are a wonderful example of the love of Christ and His sufferings..God be with you today...