Thursday, September 30, 2010

You are the Life-sustainer

I have had an amazing last few days. Last weekend, I went home to Pensacola for my step-sister, Daysha's wedding. It really was a beautiful wedding, and so sweet to see the love that Daysha and Deric have for one another. I was also able to spend quite a bit of time with my family, and really enjoyed it.

The biggest part of this weekend though was the way that God drew me unto himself. For quite a while now, I have been really focused on what I am DOING for God (which I am not saying is a bad thing). I would pray, "Lord, what do you want me to DO!?" and "Just tell us where you want us to GO next." It has been hard coming back to the US because, well, I don't feel like I am "doing" nearly enough.  While my motivations/actions were good and right, I quickly became exhausted. I wasn't spending nearly the time with God that I needed in order to be replenished spiritually. Jesus says, "Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

He has been showing me in the last few days that it is not my activities, but my relationship with Him that is life-sustaining. Jesus says that a relationship with Him will bring rest to my soul!!! But I was never receiving "rest" because I wasn't coming to Him for it. I prayed just to ask for my next "assignment" or "activity."
I have to think though, that Jesus spent His time on earth surrounded by NEEDS. He was surrounded by opposition and people around constantly (ie. no privacy). In my head, I am thinking, how did he EVER get any rest??! But Jesus knew the path to spiritual rest, and would go to His Father when He needed to be filled up again. Through some good prayer time with my younger brothers last weekend in Pensacola, God was able to fill me again with His spirit and restore my soul. He restored my passion and my JOY!!  I realized this weekend that I can't do it without His power. I can't just keep going and going without spending the time I need with HIM to be filled up again. So, I've committed to spending a LOT more time in prayer so that I won't quickly become so exhausted again. I want to be used by Him, to meet the needs of others-but I realized, I just need HIM most of all. He is life-sustaining.

Also today I got word that my Grandaddy blacked out yesterday at the church. They called an ambulance and he went to the hospital. After some scans, it seems that he has a tumor on his pituitary gland. It is rare apparently for such a tumor to be malignant, but they will still need to run many more tests, and see how they can go about shrinking the tumor and removing it. I have no doubt in my mind that Jesus is the ultimate Healer, and that He can take care of this situation. But would you join with me in praying for my Grandaddy? I believe fully in His power...it blows me away.

Finally, I will leave you with a couple of photos from Daysha's wedding this weekend. She really was a beautiful bride...

the wedding party in silly poses

Another cool one with the guys jumping over the girls! FUN!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi, this posting and the previous one is so much in season for my own life. Heb. 4:9 says there remains a rest for the people of God, and it is by faith that we are able to find our place of rest in God. I too, need to experience His rest. It's still all new to me because I'm so used to doing. I find it hard to let go, stand still, and grasp hold of all the promises of God's rest. God bless. X

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

wow, thanks for this, Andorize. I am really thankful for our friendship that God so obviously orchestrated in just the right season for both of us! thinking and praying for you and your family today! xoxo

Cassie said...

This really opened my eyes and heart to what I was needing to understand. Thank you for always sharing your heart on here. The Lord used you to speak to me and my common desire to DO things for Him, but feeling like a failure because of my lack of "results" or "actions".
You are such a wonderful woman and have such a beautiful heart. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Lord is trying to teach me the same thing. To rest in Him and His promises.

and so I don't look like a totaly dweeb posting a comment on each post...I love all of your pictures from the blues! Y'all are too precious!! :)