Sunday, April 22, 2012

What's Next? Good question...

In late 2009, while in sunny Moroto, Uganda, Ruco and I decided that he would apply for grad school and we would come back to the US for 2 years. We felt as though we needed rest. So, Ruco applied for NINE grad schools, and we prayed that God would make it financially feasible for us.

In all of our dating and married life, we had never, EVER talked about living in California. But then Ruco received a fully paid fellowship at UC Berkeley, and through prayer, we felt as though God was calling us to live in Berkeley, CA for two years. The beauty of this place exceeded all my expectations. Daily, I drive past the grizzly peak overlook (we live way up high in the hills) and watch the sun over the hills and golden gate. It's a spectacular kind of beauty.

Grizzly peak overlook by our house.


In other ways, our time here didn't meet my expectations. Even though I was surrounded by God's glorious, beautiful creation, I still must say that the last 2 years have been a very spiritually dry season for me. It's only my fault for this. We quickly found a great church in Berkeley (within our first month here), but through my own shortcomings, I haven't committed to spending the time in prayer that I require. I think I blogged about it before, the complacency that set place in my heart here and lulled me into a spiritual sleep. Perhaps I was distracted. My job is incredibly fast-paced. For whatever reason, I don't think I spent the time in prayer, and thus, didn't give God the opportunity to renew my soul that I so desperately needed during this season. Sidenote: our pastor texted this to us last week, and I have found it to be SO true: "God invites you to pray, NOT because He needs your words, your time or attention. He invites you to pray because HE LONGS TO RENEW YOUR SOUL." Oh, how I feel renewed when I do take the time to spend with Him.

Ruco has worked hard, and I have too. We did go through some trying times with Ruco taking so many international trips (doing relief work) since we have lived here, but overall, we have been blessed beyond measure. We have also been blessed that SO many wonderful friends and family have come to visit us! That was such a sweet and wonderful part of our time here. And despite it all, I still know that I am loved more than I can ever imagine by my Savior and he chooses to continuously bless us. I pray that we have made some sort of difference here.

Tred came to visit in March...such a great time together.

Hugo, Ruco's brother also came to visit in March--what a stud

Ames and Josh B also came!! I love her!!


Now, two years later, our time is coming to a close. We plan to leave Berkeley in 3 weeks following Ruco's graduation. A lot of people have asked us, "whats next?" And to be honest...we aren't quite sure! We have committed to spending time in prayer, and have been considering options we didn't think we would. For now, our plan is to leave the Bay Area on May 14th. We will go and spend time with our family in Florida and Louisiana. After that, Ruco has planned a one month vacation for us in Asia/South East Asia. I have been totally hands off and let him plan our vacation (he loves it). We are headed to Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. We will spend time just the two of us, neither of us have ever been to Asia. I am hoping God gives us the rest we had been searching for during this vacation together.

Then, we are off to South Africa and Namibia in late June to spend time with Ruco's family. I am SO excited about this! I have been dating/married to this South African boy for 10 years (& have lived in Africa myself) but I have NEVER been to South Africa or Namibia. Oh, the joy that fills my heart when I think of Ruco finally being able to share where he grew up/his culture with me!!! And how wonderful to see my in-laws again! The last time I saw them was also in 2009.

After our trips, we will finish in Swakopmund, Namibia and spend time with Ruco's parents until we are able to find work again (hopefully with Samaritan's Purse and hopefully in Africa)! Will you pray that God makes it very clear where we are to be for this next season? It is always our desire to do everything we do for his glory alone. We love you all, and thanks for your continued support of us.

Big Sur trip with Tred--waterfall

Napa with Huggie

Beach trip this weekend-Gray Whale Cove State Park





5 comments:

The Reeds said...

How exciting to have not just a season of travel, but a season of togetherness, quiet mornings and coffees. I hope it's wonderful. We totally understand about the a.) needing rest (that's why we came here for this time) and b.) seeking direction (we are in the same boat). It can be overwhelming! I pray you find crystal clear direction that you are both unified in.

amy said...

love you both so very much! praying for God's guidance and perfect peace. So thankful for you!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Thanks so much, Georgia! It is an exciting time. I can't wait to be with family and friends, and also get some good alone time together. We will also pray for direction for you guys, though I am sure God uses you mightily wherever you are! You have been such an encouragement to me! xoxo

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

love you Ames! We are so thankful for you guys, and will hopefully see you soon! :)

grandmama said...

my heart,what a beautiful thing to read from your heart the emotions and desires you feel as your journey in ca. is coming to a close. i love you dearly and know the direction you and ruco take will be on the road God leads...my scripture i memorized this week is 2nd samuel 22;25 message...God rewrote the text of my life when i opened my heart to his eyes..what a journey it has been...looking forward to our precious time together,,,,,