Sunday, July 08, 2012

Our Asian adventure!!!

I am so glad we were finally able to do this trip! We had saved up money and had planned to do a backpacking trip after our time in Uganda a couple of years ago. However, Ruco was asked to help out in Haiti following the earthquake, and we decided that going to Haiti was probably a little more important at that time. (just a little bit). ha!

 But God knew when the perfect time for this trip would be, and knew that I would need this time with him more now than I did then. I was tired after our time in Uganda, but I was in a better place spiritually. This trip, I was seeking to be able to spend time with God to renew my spirit and realign my heart with His. He did just that! It was amazing.

As far as South East Asia goes, it was beautiful beyond expectation. I was telling a girlfriend recently (and I'm embarrassed to admit it), but for a long time, I didn't really care too much about traveling through Asia. For as long as I can remember, I've been so smitten with Africa. But now, I cant believe I didn't care about this place. Thailand (especially down south around the islands) is the most beautiful place I've ever been. There are majestic rock formations and islands sprinkled all over this amazingly gorgeous ocean. At one point, Ruco said, "I think God had so much fun making Thailand!" And that's exactly what it looks like!

Beyond that, the people here are so kind and welcoming. We had so much fun learning about Asian cultures in Japan, Indonesia, and Thailand. We spent just a few days in Japan to start our trip. Then, we spent about 1 month in Indonesia-starting out in Bali and then traveling to Nusa Lembongan, Gili islands, Lombok island, and Sembawa and back to Bali. Then we were in Thailand for about 3 weeks. We flew into Phuket and spent time down south in the islands first-Ko Phi Phi and Koh Phangan before taking the train all the way up north and going to Chiang Mai. We head over to Bangkok tomorrow, and fly out of Thailand on July 13th. I can't believe our time is almost up here. It has gone by so fast! But as far as logistics, its so easy to get around here (traveling isn't a headache at all like it is in Africa)! And it is SO cheap! We had dinners on the beach and stayed in beach bungalows and did things we would never be able to afford back home. I would highly recommend South East Asia for a vacation locale! Send me a message if you want more info about where we stayed/what we did, etc. I can't take credit for our trip planning (Ruco did most of it) but would love to share info if you are coming this way!

Now there are so many other places we want to visit in Asia, although I highly doubt we will be able to take 2 months and travel like we did this time...at least not before retirement! ha! I am so thankful for all the work Ruco put into planning this trip for us, and hope these memories last us a lifetime!

On July 13th, we are on to CapeTown, South Africa!!! After 10 years of dating/being married to a South African boy, I get to see where he was born and grew up! I cant wait!!! 

















4 comments:

Jodi said...

Hey Kristi - thanks for the lovely messages. Transition is hard. Glad you are having an amazing time in Asia. Now we are back in the UK there is no excuse for us to not have a Skype date when you are back. Still miss you guys. xxx

The Reeds said...

As always, the pictures are AMAZING. I've felt the way you did about Asia and just recently we've been discussing it a lot... Hmmm. So glad you got to have such a lovely experience and thrilled you're getting to see his home turf! Can't wait to hear (and see) about it!

amy said...

SOOOOOOOOOO AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! So thankful for you guys to have gotten this time. I'll be praying for the trip to see the fam! Love you both!

Unknown said...

Which camera did you use? :) amazing photos :)